From: William Tetrault <xcourse97@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hi and init problem
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 20:35:44
1 On Sunday 07 May 2006 11:01, Dieter Ries wrote:
2 > my first problem is an init problem concerning filesystem checks.
3 >
4 > everytime i boot up my gentoo-machine, all filesystems get checked. at
5 > first i thought that perhaps reiser was not able to handle my maxtor 300GB
6 > S-ATA disk, so today i changed to Ext3 fs. But the problem is still there.
7 > i had checkfs and checkroot removed from all the runlevels using rc-update,
8 > but rc-status -a said both started in runlevel UNASSIGNED. I tried pushing
9 > it to BOOT because BOOT is before localmount i think, but it had no effect.
10 >
11 > with e3fs it only takes about 5 seconds to check, but i dont think it is
12 > necessary to check all the filesystems everytime i boot..
13 If you continue using ext2/3, you can use tune2fs -c a /dev/sdxy, where a is
14 the reciprocal of the frequency you want the filesystems checked, e.g. "-c 3"
15 would be every third boot, "-c 10" would be every tenth boot, etc. This
16 would obviously be done before the filesystems were mounted.
17
18 I'm not aware of any checkfs/checkroot chores that have been performed on my
19 gentoo systems that were not also part of either reiserfsck or e2fsck. Are
20 you sure this wasn't just notification of the journal being checked and found
21 OK?
22 >
23 > hope someone can help me, if you need further information i'll send, just
24 > ask.
25 >
26 > cu
27 > Dieter