From: Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:26:19
1 Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 09:02:05AM -0400, B. Nice wrote:
3 >>> I also feel a little guilty that my only contribution as an AT is to
4 >>> make fun of people trying to unsubscribe from the list. It's not
5 >>> exactly productive, and only serves to reinforce the bad rep that Gentoo
6 >>> has.
7 >> Where do people get the idea that Gentoo has a bad reputation? I've
8 >
9 > Well, keep in mind that I run in what is probably a slightly different
10 > circle -- server admins.
11 >
12 > Gentoo has a *lot* to recommend it technically for administering a
13 > server -- fine-grained control, careful management of the upgrade path,
14 > transparency, extensibility, etc.
15 >
16 > But the cultural shift is painful when folks like me try to interact
17 > with the Gentoo user or developer community. I think I'm a fairly
18 > technically adept person (hey, I passed the ebuild quiz), yet several of
19 > my bugs have been blown off fairly rudely, by developers who had
20 > obviously not read the entire bug. Of course, interactions on IRC are
21 > even worse.
22 >
23 > The result is that I don't file bugs anymore -- I make a fixed local
24 > copy of the ebuild and call it a day. Since I can't recommend that my
25 > clients and employers do the same, I set them up with a RedHat-derived
26 > base system and then hand-compile the necessary software on top of that.
27 >
28 > By way of comparison, problems I have had with specific pieces of
29 > business-critical software (vs. with the distro) have been handled with
30 > professionalism and dignity.
31 >
32 > Maybe the problem is that Gentoo devs are *too* accessible, and aren't
33 > really given a choice in the matter. Does e.g.,
34 > https://bugzilla.novell.com/ see the same level of activity as Gentoo's?
35 > I imagine that a lot of the grumpy devs would probably do well just
36 > sitting in the background and coding.
37 >
38 > Those are my musings..
39 >
40 > Dustin
41 >
42 > P.S. I should add that the amd64 group does not seem to share these
43 > difficutlies -- this list is sometimes irreverent, but never insulting.
44 Hi,
45 I have opened this thread by accident, pls excuse if I'm butting in. I
46 now have Gentoo running on alpha, x86, the laptop, amd64 and soon to be
47 mips. I subscribe to all lists tho' I rarely post..
50 When I first started a few years ago coming from Debian, the users where
51 very helpful but I to was intimidated with some kirt remarks. I think
52 one should remember gentoo can be an intimidating system
53 Gavin

gavin.m.seddon.vcf text/x-vcard