From: Lance Jacobs <lance@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Initial install issues
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:02:43
1 On Tue, 16 May 2006, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > since everybody else does not have this problems, it must be something with
5 > your hardware.
6 >
7 > memtest86 is not worth the time you spent it running. It does not find a lot
8 > of errors, it does find errors, that aren't there. Short, it is totally buggy
9 > in amd64.
10 >
11 > So I bet it is a) the ram b) overheating of the CPU or c) your PSU.
12 > In that order. Despite all the hype OZ stuff gets from the overclocker crowd -
13 > this people are not the ones you want to listen to about stability. They hype
14 > everything that lets them get some MHz more, even if they have spontanious
15 > reboots every few hours, and the results of the CPU are totally bogus.
16 >
17 > bzip2 needs a lot of CPU power, so overheating could be the reason.
18 > Overheating or undervolting, as soon as it has an increased load.
19
20 Just FYI, I have this fixed now, and you were right on the money. I
21 wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but it was the RAM. I
22 replaced the OCZ memory with equivalent parts from Crucial, and the
23 system is fine now. It still seems strange that many things seemed to
24 run fine with the old RAM, except for bunzip2 and md5sum, and now
25 everything is good -- only some code is intolerant of bad bits? It just
26 seems wrong.... Anyway, the system is rock solid now.
27
28 Thanks for the help, to everyone who responded. I have the old OCZ
29 memory on another board, where I can do some testing. I'd like to see
30 if I can get it to work better declocked, but in any case, it has a
31 lifetime warranty, so it will be going back.
32
33 Regards,
34 Lance Jacobs
35 lance@×××××××.net