From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cloning a system drive
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:10:18
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0710051943w4cd14241v795c599285891959@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:43:45 -0700:
4
5 > In my case I'm very noise sensitive. I do a lot of audio work and don't
6 > want additional hard drive noise in here. In my mind that rules out
7 > multi-drive RAID and I guess I don't see how any form of single-drive
8 > RAID helps if the issue is the drive doing bad.
9
10 Noise sensitive... go with lower RPM drives. Some Seagate 4200 or 5400
11 RPM drives may be good, and Seagate still has a 5 year warrantee while
12 many of the others are now one year.
13
14 Many drives are also adjustable for quietness vs. performance, if you
15 have the right hdparm or smartctl type utils to set them. I've not
16 bothered and it has been awhile since I read up on the details, so I'm a
17 bit fuzzy on them now, but many, particularly here in the US, would come
18 pre-set to the performance side. (In parts of the EU at least, I
19 understand there's some pretty strict regulations on workplace
20 environment including noise, and it's likely that some drives set for
21 performance in the US market come preset for toward quietness in that
22 market.)
23
24 Note that it's also possible to setup the drives in a separate external
25 enclosure and/or to house either that or the entire computer in another
26 room and run video and control cables. SATA/eSATA Five-drive external
27 enclosures, complete with their own power supply and fans, with hotplug
28 backplane (change out a bad drive while the system is in use), run $300
29 or so. Add another $100 and throw in a 5:1 SATA port multiplier so you
30 only run a single SATA/eSATA cable back to the computer. The computer
31 itself can then be much smaller/lighter/quieter, since it doesn't contain
32 the drives nor does it need to power them from its own power supply.
33
34 Another option: For RAID-1/mirroring, the ultimate in reliability since
35 the data is copied N-way, Linux makes it possible to declare some of the
36 devices write-mostly, and make them remote. The Linux RAID driver will
37 write to write-mostly devices as normal, mirroring the data to all
38 devices as usual, but will only read from the write-mostly devices if the
39 normal (non-write-mostly) devices in the array die or return errors.
40 This DRAMATICALLY increases mirroring flexibility, as provided you can
41 keep open a connection with enough bandwidth to maintain expected write-
42 rates, you can locate the write-mostly devices basically anywhere in the
43 world -- connected over the Internet or whatever if necessary. Want your
44 data automatically mirrored to your co-hosted server three states over,
45 to another in Australia, and another in Europe, thus ensuring the
46 ultimate in disaster recoverability? Not a problem! Connect them up
47 over the Internet and create write-mostly devices for them, and your data
48 will be auto-mirrored N-ways including to all those off-site backup
49 locations!
50
51 Of course, the same technology can be used to host a much-more-local
52 mirror as well, at the other end of the house or at your next-door-
53 neighbor's over Ethernet, or to your server located at work/home from the
54 other, over Internet. You get full data redundancy without requiring but
55 your single normal drive in your on-location computer.
56
57 If you combine write-mostly with a local but external SATA/eSATA solution
58 hosted in another room, even with heavy data needs, you can be as fully
59 redundant as you wish, with no drives at all in the computer itself, thus
60 lowering the weight/noise/power-requirements of the computer rather
61 drastically.
62
63 > Probably I'm not aware of all the value of doing all of that work. Maybe
64 > there would be significant reliability gains but it's a subject that is
65 > pretty far beyond me today.
66
67 That was my reaction too, plus the expense, until I had two drives in a
68 row go out in a year each, while my normal replace cycle would be more
69 like three years. That plus the now relatively low entry cost and
70 complexity, simple SATA drives and the kernel's own software RAID driver,
71 made actually possible what I hadn't even considered within my reach,
72 until that second drive overheated and I began doing research on a
73 suitable replacement with a bit more reliability. (The overheat killed
74 parts of the drive, basically the parts that it tried to read while
75 overheated, but I could still use the rest of it, including the second
76 copy of my data on the same drive, and was still operational on that, so
77 I had some time to research, but didn't want to press my luck...)
78
79 Basically, minimum cost now is the cost of the additional drive(s), as
80 long as your computer has spare SATA ports, drive bay space, and a power
81 supply sufficient to power the additional drives. Of course, for your
82 low noise needs, you may pay a bit more, but the cost is still only a few
83 hundred dollars total, reasonably comparable to that of getting a second
84 computer, not the thousands of dollars for Enterprise equipment one used
85 to think of in the context of RAID.
86
87 > I'm also has concerns that 1) the drive could go sooner than later
88 > causing me to have more work getting the system set up again
89
90 If your entire system is RAID-1/mirrored or RAID-10, and to a somewhat
91 lessor extent if it's RAID-1/5 or 1/6 mixed (as mine is, basically,
92 RAID-0 for the temp-only stuff, but that's not redundant and I know I'd
93 lose it if I lost a drive), particularly if you are running one of the
94 newer hot-plug SATA things, either internal or external, not only need
95 your system never even go down for a drive outage as you can replace it
96 with the system running, but getting out of degraded mode into full
97 redundancy protection once again can literally be as simple as turning
98 the lock and pushing the button to release the old drive in its tray,
99 taking it out of the tray and putting the new drive in, reloading and
100 relocking the tray complete with new drive in place, and running a couple
101 mdadm commands to tell the RAID driver to add it as a spare and
102 reinitialize. Then it's simply a matter of waiting the few hours of
103 still operational but degraded performance until the new drive is brought
104 online fully up to speed.
105
106 Restating in briefer form, simply push a button, slide out the old drive
107 and replace it with the new, tell mdadm it's now part of the RAID, and
108 wait thru a few hours of lower than normal performance until it's brought
109 online and the system is fully recovered.
110
111 No need to even reboot; it's all accomplished "live", with a couple of
112 button pushes and issuing a couple of commands, plus a few hours of
113 somewhat lower than normal performance as the new drive is brought up to
114 speed. That's it! More work? No, LESS work, by FAR!
115
116 While that is the simplest case, full RAID-1 mirroring, if you skimp and
117 go RAID-5 or RAID-6 due to cost, mixed with a RAID-1 for /boot and
118 perhaps a RAID-0/striped for speed for your temp stuff, you do add a few
119 more commands, mainly fdisk to set up the partitions for the mixed RAID
120 before you add the new disk to the RAID, you lose the temp stuff on the
121 RAID-0 and have to rebuild that, and you need to reboot after the fdisk,
122 but the copying over of your data remains fully automatic, and it's still
123 far less work than recovery from a single main disk going bad could every
124 be.
125
126 > and 2) if I do add some form of RAID that it will cause problems for
127 > the cloned Win XP installation being it isn't there now.
128
129 Well, if you use Linux-kernel RAID, of course you do lose the ability to
130 read it from MS, and even using hardware RAID, there's the eXPrivacy anti-
131 privacy activation hoops you have to go thru... You certainly do have a
132 point there!
133
134 Of course, that's one of the big reasons I left MS and switched to
135 Linux... that was a line I simply could not and would not cross. I simply
136 refused, and when MS insisted, as with any relationship where one partner
137 makes demands for something the other simply cannot and will not do, it
138 ends the relationship. Needless to say given no other choice, we parted
139 ways. So I have MS to thank for finally pushing me to Linux. Oh well,
140 their loss as I spent a decent amount of money on them, my ever so great
141 gain! =8^)
142
143 > And how does LVM work for Windows anyway? I thought that was a Linux
144 > thing?
145
146 It is... unless you are running one in a VM on the other, of course.
147 Then the host system supplies the devices and drivers. =8^)
148
149 > Maybe everything Duncan said is right, and I'll give it some thought,
150 > but my #1 worry is trying to make sure the system doesn't go down hard
151 > and leave me with a week's worth of work getting Humpty Dumpty back
152 > together again that I don't need right now.
153
154 Of course, you know I'd be dumping MS, but it's your system and your
155 choices to make. In any case, I'd certainly consider buying a separate
156 system to run MS on (or run it in a VM... you may actually be surprised
157 to find it runs faster in a VM than it does on the bare metal -- provided
158 you have sufficient memory, of course). Either your MS or Linux side is
159 likely sufficiently low demanding to run on what is now days a fairly
160 cheap system, even new, so the option shouldn't be more than a few
161 hundred dollars.
162
163 Actually, I intended for that to mainly convey the message that my
164 relatively basic new-drive transfer method, three steps partition/mkfs/
165 conventional-copy, has served me very well for many years and over a wide
166 variety of implementation details, including my new mixed RAID/LVM
167 setup. It was therefore intended to be less about the RAID/LVM, which
168 was supposed to be simply an incidental mention, and more about the
169 simple partition/mkfs/copy transfer method, but that's not how it turned
170 out, obviously. =8^?
171
172 In any case, if you are keeping eXPrivacy on there and want to continue
173 to run it on the bare metal and not in a VM, and if you need most of your
174 Linux side to be eXPrivacy accessible, that's going to limit your options
175 somewhat and the LVM/RAID stuff definitely won't be as practical as it
176 could arguably be if you were Linux-only. I still think the basic
177 partition/mkfs/conventional-copy method is simpler than most of the
178 others, tho, particularly since you don't have to worry about additional
179 software, and the repartitioning will allow you to better adapt to the
180 larger drive than straight imaging, or even using dd and then growing the
181 partitions.
186 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
189 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list