From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cloning a system drive
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:27:29
1 On 10/6/07, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
3 <SNIP>
4
5 > > and 2) if I do add some form of RAID that it will cause problems for
6 > > the cloned Win XP installation being it isn't there now.
7 >
8 > Well, if you use Linux-kernel RAID, of course you do lose the ability to
9 > read it from MS, and even using hardware RAID, there's the eXPrivacy anti-
10 > privacy activation hoops you have to go thru... You certainly do have a
11 > point there!
12 >
13 > Of course, that's one of the big reasons I left MS and switched to
14 > Linux... that was a line I simply could not and would not cross. I simply
15 > refused, and when MS insisted, as with any relationship where one partner
16 > makes demands for something the other simply cannot and will not do, it
17 > ends the relationship. Needless to say given no other choice, we parted
18 > ways. So I have MS to thank for finally pushing me to Linux. Oh well,
19 > their loss as I spent a decent amount of money on them, my ever so great
20 > gain! =8^)
21
22 I did too Duncan. I ran only Linux for about 5 years. About 3 years
23 ago I left my Silicon Valley career behind and about a year ago I
24 started trading stocks full time. Unfortunately (until very recently)
25 there hasn't a viable stock trading platform for Linux. Now, since
26 thinkorswim's platform is written in Java, there is at least the
27 possibility of trading from a Gentoo machine. I cannot get it to run
28 on Gentoo 64-bit but when I do Windows will be gone again.
29
30 - Mark
31 --
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list