From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OpenGL trouble (?)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:45:02
1 On Sunday 19 February 2006 21.13, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 >
3 > I tell you what: that is really stupid.
4 >
5 > Really, really stupid.
6
7 maybe
8
9 > You DESERVE problems, if you did this.
10 >
11 > Why?
12 >
13 > Because: when you update the driver sometimes the nvidia driver forgets
14 > some files somewhere - resulting in direct rendering not working.
15 >
16 > Even worse: some apps don't compile with the nvidia opengl libs and headers
17 > - so if you do it the gentoo way you could just 'eselect set opengl
18 > xorg-x11' and compile the app, but when you did it the nvidia way:
19 > congratulations, you can reinstall X now.
20
21 Nope - because I did know what I was doing and have a backup copy of my
22 install before the nvidia driver :)
23
24 > btw: I really do not understand why gentoo still uses the old drivers: they
25 > suck.
26 >
27 > But that does not excuse using the nvidia installing method.
28
29 The answer is simple: it was (or seemed to be) the only way to get 3D
30 acceleration. I followed the Gentoo nvidia how-to and all I could get were
31 incompatible drivers
32
33 > For your problems:
34 > usually it helps replacing the sdl lib or openal with 'the systems one' or
35 > the ones in the emul-packages.
36
37 It would perhaps be a little more helpful of you told me how... What are "the
38 systems one"? Where do I find them?
39
40 Thierry
43 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
44 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
45 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
46 Frank Zappa
47 --
48 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list