From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OpenGL trouble (?)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:15:14
1 On Sunday 19 February 2006 18:20, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > So I've set up my opteron box and now (almost( everything is working, I've
5 > transfered my mail directory (this usually means I'm ready to start working
6 > with the machine :)
7 >
8 > I had some problems installing the nvidia driver - I have a 6600GT card and
9 > the driver that emerge would installed was apparently too old.
10 > So I backed up everything at tried the "officiel" Nvidia driver, and it
11 > works... mostly
12
13 so, instead of using /etc/portage/package.unmask you installed the driver
14 directly?
15
16 I tell you what: that is really stupid.
17
18 Really, really stupid.
19
20 You DESERVE problems, if you did this.
21
22 Why?
23
24 Because: when you update the driver sometimes the nvidia driver forgets some
25 files somewhere - resulting in direct rendering not working.
26
27 Even worse: some apps don't compile with the nvidia opengl libs and headers -
28 so if you do it the gentoo way you could just 'eselect set opengl xorg-x11'
29 and compile the app, but when you did it the nvidia way: congratulations, you
30 can reinstall X now.
31
32 btw: I really do not understand why gentoo still uses the old drivers: they
33 suck.
34
35 But that does not excuse using the nvidia installing method.
38 For your problems:
39 usually it helps replacing the sdl lib or openal with 'the systems one' or the
40 ones in the emul-packages.
41 --
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list