From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] OpenGL trouble (?)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:22:50
1 Hello,
2
3 So I've set up my opteron box and now (almost( everything is working, I've
4 transfered my mail directory (this usually means I'm ready to start working
5 with the machine :)
6
7 I had some problems installing the nvidia driver - I have a 6600GT card and
8 the driver that emerge would installed was apparently too old.
9 So I backed up everything at tried the "officiel" Nvidia driver, and it
10 works... mostly
11
12 I've a series of games that run with OpenGL. AFAIK all are 32 bit only. The
13 following work perfectly:
14
15 - prBoom (Doom II)
16 - Unreal
17 - Unreal Tournament
18 - Quake
19 - Quake 2
20 - Quake 3
21 - Return to casle Wolfenstein
22 - Creatures 3
23 - X-Plane 8.32
24
25 However, I still have problems with these:
26 - Soldier of fortune: I can play but it will crash if I try to save, or at the
27 end of the level
28 - Quake 4 (crashes at the beginning, when you go to the entrence door. This is
29 an automatic way point where the game autosaves).
30 - Doom 3 (crashes after the opening animation)
33 All these crashes seem to be directly related to an I/O access, or possibly a
34 sound access?. It totaly freezes the computer (hard reset necessary). It's
35 not the most important problem but I still wonder where it comes from: nvidia
36 driver? controler driver? amd64bit problem?
37
38 The problem is NOT Gentoo specific and can be reproduced on the same machine
39 when installing a 32bit distribution. Happens with SuSE 64 as well. Why it
40 occurs in SOF but not in RTCW I don't understand.
43 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
44 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
45 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
46 Frank Zappa
47 --
48 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list