From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: locale problems
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:55:57
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0810232008q5887e1a6p6f8ce0026d2268a3@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:08:55 -0700:
4
5 > Tonight when running k3b I got a message that it's upset of the
6 > character set. It says I'm using strange stuff I don't recognize:
7 >
8 > System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968 Your system's locale charset
9 > (i.e. the charset used to encode filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It
10 > is highly unlikely that this has been done intentionally. Most likely
11 > the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting will result in problems
12 > when creating data projects.
13 > Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
14 > environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
15 > take care of this.
16
17 I don't know about the others, but I was getting this with k3b for some
18 time. It doesn't seem to affect anything. I can still burn stuff just
19 fine. The disks read fine here, and I've had no complaints about burns
20 I've made for others either, so it would seem k3b doesn't know what it is
21 talking about.
22
23 I just ran k3b to see, and now it comes up with "No problems found in
24 system configuration." <shrug> It seems to have stopped as mysteriously
25 as it started.
26
27 FWIW, I'm on ~amd64, running kde-3.5.10 and k3b-1.0.5-r3.
28 LANG="en_US.UTF-8", as seen running "export" in a konsole window.
29
30 But while it's gone now, I did have that warning in k3b for some time,
31 and it didn't seem to affect anything. So I'd not worry too much about
32 it.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman