From: "Florian D." <flockmock@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Bootproblem (monolithic kernel)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:07:46
1 Petric Frank wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Friday 02 December 2005 00:02, Brett Johnson wrote:
5 >
6 >>Petric Frank wrote:
7 >>
8 >>>Hello,
9 >>>
10 >>>given a mainboard having 2 SATA controllers. One VIA (from the chipset)
11 >>>and one additional Promise SATA. CPU is a AMD64.
12 >>>
13 >>>Up to now i had 2 SATA disks attached to the VIA controller.
14 >>>
15 >>>The kernel (2.6.14-r2) is built monolithic in regards of the SATA chips.
16 >>>
17 >>>Now i added a third harddisk and i recogized that the new disk was
18 >>>inserted before the other two. It seems that the promise kernel part is
19 >>>loaded before the VIA driver.
20 >>>
21 >>>So my question - is there a kernel parameter (to be given to grub.conf)
22 >>>which instructs the kernel to process the VIA kernel part first ?
23 >>>
24 >>>regards
25 >>> Petric
26 >>
27 >>My Asus MB lets me pick which chipset to load first in the BIOS. You can
28 >>look there.
31 > But this does not affect the Linux kerner, doesn't it ?
34 >>Another option would be to build the Promise driver is a module, and
35 >>load it during
36 >>the boot process.
39 > Can not be done if you want to boot also from there (actually not, but in
40 > future).
41 >
42 > As far as i can see up to now i have 2 options:
43 >
44 > 1. Reconfigure where the disks are attached to the mainboard
45 > 2. Completely reconfigure the boot loader.
46 >
47 > Both not really preferrable.
48 > (What happens if a fourth disk comes in ...)
49 >
50 > Ist there no kernel option like "reverse" (or loke that) telling the kernel to
51 > process the disk drivers in reverse order.
52 >
53 > regards
54 > Petric
55 I had a similar problem. In the end, I changed grub.conf and /etc/fstab.
56 you can fool grub via the map command, but I hadn´t figured out a way to
57 fool the kernel, too ;-)
58
59 (but something strange remains: if I open a grub-shell via bash, the
60 order of my disks will be totally different than if I would´ve opened it
61 via the *boot*-grub shell)
62
63 cheers, f
64 --