From: sean <tech.junk@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System Memory
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:01:22
1 Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2
3 >> Just be careful... I managed to fry my BIOS while updating it (due to a
4 >> memory stick going bad, thus writing garbage to the flash), a couple
5 >> months ago. Had I known the recovery procedure when it happened, I might
6 >> have been able to recover it, but due to lack of knowledge, I screwed
7 >> that up too.
8 >>
9 >> I ended up on my netbook, ordering a newly flashed BIOS chip for my main
10 >> machine over the net from California.... Suffice it to say that I now
11 >> know WAYYY more than I ever wanted to know, about recovering from a bad
12 >> BIOS flash.
15 > Same here, I had to order a new flash chip when it happened to me. The
16 > recovery procedure you mention is specific to your motherboard model?
17 >
18 > raffaele
22 For the reason that both of you mention, in the past I have always
23 purchased the BIOS chip upgrade for any system I want to make sure will
24 not be the victim of a meltdown.
25 Which is why I have not upgraded this system yet again to the latest.