From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: FAT tools, where ?
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:02:40
1 On 12/5/2009 7:52 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Lie Ryan posted on Sat, 05 Dec 2009 06:17:42 +1100 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> The 8G is small compared to the external's size (120G)
5 >
6 > I think I mentioned it, but I still find it amazing... Fry's Electronics
7 > recently had a USB 1 TB external for $80. I snagged one. I'm not
8 > bragging, as after tax, that's about what they're going for on
9 > pricewatch.com (no tax but with shipping) now days as well; I'm just
10 > still so amazed that prices have come down that far. A TB disk for $80.
11 > It's just... weird!
12
13 If you mean this guy:
14 http://www.frys.com/product/5832713;jsessionid=IEhzBaKBRCPLT6YdVM4dqw**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
15
16 it wouldn't fit into my pocket, wouldn't it?
17
18 > Meanwhile, 120 gig... is almost USB thumbdrive size now. When you said
19 > "small" 8 gig partition, I was thinking relative to a half terabyte
20 > drive,
21
22 A quarter terrabytes (250GB). This is not the first time I messed up
23 when stating my external's size. Still small, but better at least. The
24 120 GB is my laptop's (which are quite a few years old now).
25
26 at least, and with TB drives at $80 (which I still find almost
27 > unbelievable), half TB would be models from a year or two ago. 8/120ths
28 > might be small, but it doesn't look so small when someone's thinking
29 > 8/500ths or 8/1000ths on the one hand, and has just done the GPT
30 > repartition I mentioned and felt incredibly foolish sticking a measly
31 > 1 MiB partition (the BIOS boot partition) on that 1 TB (931 GiB) drive!
32
33 But I felt even more foolish to have to reboot to the the OS in my
34 harddisk just to copy a 50kB file to my NTFS partition because my
35 friend's Macbook cannot write to NTFS. GPT only helps to boot, it
36 doesn't make a Macbook read from NTFS partition or a Gentoo LiveCD write
37 to NTFS.