From: Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] complete crash with ondemand scheduler
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 23:06:48
1 Your statement was that the on-demand governor is "very bad" for amd
2 CPUs. I don't see how you have qualified that statement in any way.
3 Yes, it behaves differently then the conservative governor but that
4 doesn't make it "bad", "harmful", or even inefficient with power usage.
5
6 I use the ondemand govern on a large number of production Opteron
7 machines with great results. According to my empirical measurements
8 with an ammeter it saves an average of ~35w per socket in systems with
9 dual core CPUs (not per core). As you can imagine, this is a pretty use
10 full savings for the 8-socket system that I have.
11
12 Cheers,
13
14 -J