From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] complete crash with ondemand scheduler
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 14:28:20
1 2007/8/5, Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu>:
2 >
3 > Your statement was that the on-demand governor is "very bad" for amd
4 > CPUs. I don't see how you have qualified that statement in any way.
5 > Yes, it behaves differently then the conservative governor but that
6 > doesn't make it "bad", "harmful", or even inefficient with power usage.
9 i never intended that it was harmful or bad in the way you think. i was
10 only saying that it is a bad governor for an amd processor. or at least it
11 is for my turion 64 and for my athlon x2. when i used it on these processors
12 i had a bad feeling, cpu lags about it. so i switched to the conservative
13 wich is smoother.
14
15 I use the ondemand govern on a large number of production Opteron
16 > machines with great results. According to my empirical measurements
17 > with an ammeter it saves an average of ~35w per socket in systems with
18 > dual core CPUs (not per core). As you can imagine, this is a pretty use
19 > full savings for the 8-socket system that I have.
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 >
23 > -J
24 >
25 > on my turion 64 it does not behave as you say, and just step from 800mhz
26 to 2ghz, and it doesn't save anything when compared to conservative and
27 userspace with powernowd/powerthend. and i assure you that the overall
28 system energy consumption is of very great importance to me, specially when
29 i'm on battery.