From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] latest kernel and ndiswrapper
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:19:34
1 1. if you don't have a 4318 and you won't need to connect to wpa_enterprise
2 networks with ca certs and so on switch to the kernel drivers. are a lot
3 better than ndiswrapper. the only things that fails is the 4318 module when
4 trying to connect to a wpa_enterprise network that don't broadcast essid,
5 cause it has some flux control that is not ok. it connects but you'd risk
6 disconection and core failures that would have you to restart the system.
7 all the other boards, for what i know work pretty well and with 54mbit/s
8 speeds.
9 2. ndiswrapper was rebuilt pointing to /usr/srclinux which now pointed to
10 r8. now, the modules should be ok, since you've already build and installed
11 them, but you may have to rebuild ndiswrapper after pointing /usr/src/linux
12 to the r5. i don't know if that would fix your issue, since you didn't
13 provided any log or dmesg message to see what really happens when
14 ndiswrapper loads. so first of all try "dmesg > /root/dmesg.txt-r5 && cat
15 /var/log/messages > /root/messages-r5.txt" and "dmesg > /root/dmesg.txt-r8
16 && cat /var/log/messages > /root/messages-r8.txt" after booting with r5 and
17 respectively r8 and attach them to see what happens.
18 3. how did you compiled the new r8? have you made a "cp /usr/src/linux-
19 2.6.22-gentoo-r5/.config /usr/src/linux" to copy the old config from the r5
20 to r8 or did you configured the r8 by hand again?
21 4. switch to bcm43xx since it is always better using native drivers than
22 wrappers when you can. you should at least try them and see how they behave
23 before saying that they don't work. compiling them don't cost you nothing.
24 then you can blacklist them from loading so you can use ndiswrapper if you
25 don't like them.
26