From: Jeffrey Gardner <je_fro@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Messed up my installation
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 16:10:53
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Kevin Philp wrote:
5 > I think I have made a mess of my installation, but I think its recoverable.
6 >
7 > I installed Gentoo AMD64 from the minimal install disk. Next I installed
8 > X, gdm and gnome. All went well with the exception of the MS core fonts
9 > which threw a checksum error when the trying to install andale.exe. I
10 > restarted with emerge --resume --skipfirst and all seemed OK - please
11 > correct me if I am wrong here!
12 >
13 > First problem - X wouldn't start. After reading around I noted that I
14 > should have included
15 >
16 > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
17 > VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia"
18 >
19 > I re-emerged X but no joy - eventually I manually emerged the xf86
20 > keyboard and mouse drivers and I managed to get into Gnome using the nv
21 > driver. Nvidia complains about the kernel being tainted and removing
22 > riva drivers from the Kernel - which were not compiled in anyway so I am
23 > not sure what is wrong there.
24 >
25 > Gnome appears to have 90% of its icons missing - the terminal icon is
26 > there but any other icon in the menu is missing and most of the icons on
27 > the panel are missing.
28 >
29 > So - Several questions:
30 >
31 > 1. How do I fix the icon problem?
32 >
33 > 2. What is wrong with Nvidia - I followed the NVidia guide and
34 > reinstalled nvidia after recompiling the kernel.
35 >
36 > Kevin.
41 A couple of things...
43 you've selected, module or otherwise, is vesa. No nvidia framebuffers at
44 all.
45 Make sure you're building agpgart (if you've included it...I never do.)
46 as a module, not built in.
47 Make sure you've got "truetype type1" in your use flags.
48 Go ahead and try: emerge -uDN world && revdep-rebuild
49 If you're still getting that checksum error...find the offending file in
50 /usr/portage/distfiles/ and delete it and start over with the emerge.
51
52 - --
53 Jeffrey Gardner
54 Gentoo Developer