From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:50:30
1 (Watch out for top posting! I've rearranged the text here.)
2
3 On 10/29/07, Javi Moreno <vierito5@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > On 10/29/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > Hi,
9 > > I'm wondering if anyone else is suffering the problems I am with
10 > > firefox-bin crashing a few times every day. It seems to be more or
11 > > less repeatable. After logging into Gnome for the first time if I have
12 > > two tabs and attempt to drag one tab to a different location then it
13 > > crashes. Not every time, but often. When I start firefox-bin a second
14 > > time it recognizes that it crashed, restarts the previous session, and
15 > > at this point it doesn't crash if I drag tabs around.
16 > >
17 > > I have also had this happen multiple times hitting an Attach File
18 > > button in GMail.
19 > >
20 > > I will say that this seems to have started roughly after the last
21 > > time I wrote to the list asking about Java & Flash support. I changed
22 > > a number of things at that time & I can go back and look them up if
23 > > folks think it's really involved. However this seems a strange thing
24 > > to blame on Java or Flash. That work is still in .bash_history so I
25 > > can at least get a rough idea of what I was doing if it seems
26 > > important.
27 > >
28 > > There is little to configure for firefox-bin itself. I've attached
29 > > the emerge command for reference.
30 > >
31 > > I've tried running firefox-bin in a terminal but I don't get any
32 > > info. I should probably learn how to use something like gdb but I'm
33 > > resistant.
34 > >
35 > > Anyway, I'm mainly looking for ideas about what to consider looking
36 > > at to fix this. It's getting frustrating. It crashed 4 times
37 > > yesterday.
38 > >
39 <SNIP>
40 >
41 > It also happens to me many times, only with the 32bit versión in my 64bit
42 > machine.
43 >
44 > In my case, it's random, when entering diferents websites, at diferent
45 > times, with diferent actions, some days 10 ten times, some weeks never and
46 > so on.
49 Yes, sounds very much like my problems. Mostly it's pretty random.
50 Clicking on some random link on random web sites can set it off. All
51 sort of little things make it happen. The only semi-consistent thing
52 I've found that's sort of repeatable from day to day is the
53 rearranging of tabs. That will almost always make it happen after
54 logging in the first time of the day.
55
56 Thanks for the feedback.
57
58 - Mark