From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:47:53
1 try setting off java, clear everything from cache to cookies of passwords,
2 disable addons and the restart it and see if it crashes. if it doesn't for
3 some time enable one add-on per time and try it out for some time. if it
4 doesn't crashes then add another addon.
5 the last thing is to see if you have the x86 emuls installed if you are on
6 64bit arch (java,sound,base,xorg) then see if you have the plugins compiled
7 for 32 bit (you should have it that way since they are available on 32bit
8 except mplayer). another thing is to have the last stable version of gtk+.
9 that should fix the issues.
10 if that doesn't work either try also compiling the mozilla-firefox package
11 (and start it via firefox and not firefox-bin). if that's stable with the
12 same .mozilla directory then there's something wrong in the firefox-bin
13 package.
14 i'd suggest you install ccache before compiling if you don't yet use it and
15 to add the option --buildpkg to emerge, so that you can have the firefox
16 package built for your particular system. this is useful also for long time
17 compiling packages as gtk+,qt or kdelibs and kdebase. if you'd later need to
18 reinstall them (for example the expat-2 update) you can install them in a
19 matter of little time. just be aware that the packaging requires additional
20 disk space to package the files once they're compiled.
21 i didn't experience crashes in the last 6 months.
22