From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:47:36
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560710291145p65425e7ao9a55c53484ccaf0f@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:45:52 +0100:
4
5 > i'd suggest you install ccache before compiling if you don't yet use it
6 > and to add the option --buildpkg to emerge, so that you can have the
7 > firefox package built for your particular system. this is useful also
8 > for long time compiling packages as gtk+,qt or kdelibs and kdebase. if
9 > you'd later need to reinstall them (for example the expat-2 update) you
10 > can install them in a matter of little time. just be aware that the
11 > packaging requires additional disk space to package the files once
12 > they're compiled. i didn't experience crashes in the last 6 months.
13
14 I have FEATURES=ccache and buildpkg both on, so no need to add the emerge
15 parameter, but yes, I've been doing this for some time, and seriously
16 recommend it (particularly the buildpkg part, ccache is covered in the
17 handbook reasonably well already) myself.
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list