From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:04:06
1 On 10/29/07, Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > try setting off java, clear everything from cache to cookies of passwords,
3 > disable addons and the restart it and see if it crashes. if it doesn't for
4 > some time enable one add-on per time and try it out for some time. if it
5 > doesn't crashes then add another addon.
6 > the last thing is to see if you have the x86 emuls installed if you are on
7 > 64bit arch (java,sound,base,xorg) then see if you have the plugins compiled
8 > for 32 bit (you should have it that way since they are available on 32bit
9 > except mplayer). another thing is to have the last stable version of gtk+.
10 > that should fix the issues.
11 > if that doesn't work either try also compiling the mozilla-firefox package
12 > (and start it via firefox and not firefox-bin). if that's stable with the
13 > same .mozilla directory then there's something wrong in the firefox-bin
14 > package.
15 > i'd suggest you install ccache before compiling if you don't yet use it and
16 > to add the option --buildpkg to emerge, so that you can have the firefox
17 > package built for your particular system. this is useful also for long time
18 > compiling packages as gtk+,qt or kdelibs and kdebase. if you'd later need to
19 > reinstall them (for example the expat-2 update) you can install them in a
20 > matter of little time. just be aware that the packaging requires additional
21 > disk space to package the files once they're compiled.
22 > i didn't experience crashes in the last 6 months.
23
24 Beso,
25 I'll spend some time finding Gentoo manuals to see if I can figure
26 out what you're talking about. It sounds like great stuff but probably
27 way above my skill set. It may take some time.
28
29 Thanks,
30 Mark