From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: Best Desktop Patchset for kernel
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:12:53
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
2 <200510060853.56722.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:53:56 +0200:
4
5 > [Greg KH] does not have to worry about udev anymore ;)
6
7 ??
8
9 You aren't perhaps getting udev and devfs mixed up? devfs was the 2.4
10 in-kernel stuff, not very flexible and with other issues so now dropped.
11 udev is the 2.6 tech, to my knowledge very much alive, and GKH still very
12 much a *BIG* backer! (He was the big push both behind the advance of
13 udev, and the drop of devfs, bringing up the devfs drop when udev was in,
14 being told it needed to stay in for at least a year, bringing it up,
15 apparently with very great pleasure, a year later, having it deactivated
16 but the code still there for a time, then bringing it up another couple
17 releases later to have the devfs code entirely removed from the kernel.
18 That he was made "kernel lieutenant for devices" was in large part
19 because it seemed natural due to the fact he was dealing with them thru
20 udev anyway.)
21
22 If that's changed, /please/ point me to a reference! I must have dropped
23 out of the loop somewhere!
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
29 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list