From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 08:57:22
1 On Thursday 09 February 2006 01:17, Duncan wrote:
2 > Simon Stelling posted <43EA568D.6020307@g.o>, excerpted below, on
3 > My thinking, which is possibly incorrect (your input appreciated), is that
4 > file-based scripts get pulled into cache the first time they are executed,
5 > and will remain there (with a gig of memory) pretty much until I'm done
6 > doing my upgrades. At the same time, they are simply in cache, not
7 > something in bash's memory, so if the memory is needed, it will be
8 > reclaimed. As well, after I'm done and on to other tasks, the cached
9 > commands will eventually be replaced by other data, if need be.
10 >
11 > Aliases (and bash-functions) are held in memory. That's not as flexible
12 > as cache in terms of being knocked out of memory if the memory is needed
13 > by other things. Sure, that memory may be flushed to disk-based swap, but
14 > that's disk based the same as the actual script files I'm using, so
15 > reading it back into main memory if it's faulted out will take something
16 > comparable to the time it'd take to read in the script file again anyway.
17 > That's little gain, with the additional overhead and therefore loss of
18 > having to manage the temp-copy in swapped memory, if it comes to that.
19
20 Besides the fact that memory use is negligeable, you should keep into account
21 that scripts (even oneliners) use one memory page per script. Aliasses
22 however are stored by bash in a way that multiple aliases fit into one block
23 of memory. And when the memory is needed, bash will be bumped out of memory
24 too. But the idea is that those small aliasses will not actually need more
25 memory.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze