From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:32:39
1 Paul de Vrieze posted <200602090955.31941.pauldv@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:55:25 +0100:
3
4 > Besides the fact that memory use is negligeable, you should keep into account
5 > that scripts (even oneliners) use one memory page per script. Aliasses
6 > however are stored by bash in a way that multiple aliases fit into one block
7 > of memory. And when the memory is needed, bash will be bumped out of memory
8 > too. But the idea is that those small aliasses will not actually need more
9 > memory.
10
11 Ahh... now /that/ makes sense, and is something I hadn't read before.
12
13 Just to extent your reasoning, are you saying that cached hard drive
14 memory is organized one page (minimum) per file, and that the same general
15 reasoning would therefore apply to caching of /any/ small file (assuming
16 the alternative non-cache memory is tigher packed than a page per file)?
17
18 I prefer cause/effect relationships of that sort, if possible, to arbitary
19 rules, as cause/effect seems to fit my brain organization and stick with
20 me, where arbitrary rules like bash aliases are more efficient in their
21 memory usage than cached scripts, just don't stick with me, as they have
22 no anchor-point to the cause-effect logical framework I build up to store
23 factoids in.
24
25 Is there a definitive kernel reference somewhere that states such a thing
26 -- one page per file cached? Also, is that standard 4K pages (and is the
27 AMD64 page size also 4K or is it 8K or something)?
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list