From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:34:59
1 Gary E. Miller posted on Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:50:43 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:38:00 -0700 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> On the read side I'm not sure if I'm understanding your point. I agree
7 >> that a so-designed RAID1 system could/might read smaller portions of a
8 >> larger read from RAID1 drives in parallel, taking some data from one
9 >> drive and some from another drive, and then only take action corrective
10 >> if one of the drives had troubles. However I don't know that
11 >> mdadm-based RAID1 does anything like that. Does it?
12 >
13 > It surely does. I have confirmed that at least monthly since md has
14 > existed in the kernel.
15
16 Out of curiosity, /how/ do you confirm that? I agree based on real usage
17 experience, but with a claim that you're confirming it at least monthly,
18 it sounds like you have a standardized/scripted test, and I'm interested
19 in what/how you do it.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman