From: "Gary E. Miller" <gem@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 22:15:38
1 Yo Duncan!
2
3 On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:34:36 +0000 (UTC)
4 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5
6 > >> On the read side I'm not sure if I'm understanding your point. I
7 > >> agree that a so-designed RAID1 system could/might read smaller
8 > >> portions of a larger read from RAID1 drives in parallel, taking
9 > >> some data from one drive and some from another drive, and then
10 > >> only take action corrective if one of the drives had troubles.
11 > >> However I don't know that mdadm-based RAID1 does anything like
12 > >> that. Does it?
13 > >
14 > > It surely does. I have confirmed that at least monthly since md has
15 > > existed in the kernel.
16 >
17 > Out of curiosity, /how/ do you confirm that? I agree based on real
18 > usage experience, but with a claim that you're confirming it at least
19 > monthly, it sounds like you have a standardized/scripted test, and
20 > I'm interested in what/how you do it.
21
22 I have around 30 RAID1 sets in production right now. Some of them
23 doing mostly reads and some mostly writes. Some are HDD and some SSD.
24 The RAID sets are pushed pretty hard 24x7 and we watch the performance
25 pretty closely to plan updates. I have collectd performance graphs
26 going way back.
27
28 RGDS
29 GARY
31 Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR 97701
32 gem@××××××.com Tel:+1(541)382-8588