From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:21:11
1 Gary E. Miller posted on Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:15:16 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 >> >> [Does md/raid1 do parallel reads of multiple files at once?]
4 >> >
5 >> > It surely does. I have confirmed that at least monthly since md has
6 >> > existed in the kernel.
7 >>
8 >> Out of curiosity, /how/ do you confirm that? I agree based on real
9 >> usage experience, but with a claim that you're confirming it at least
10 >> monthly, it sounds like you have a standardized/scripted test, and I'm
11 >> interested in what/how you do it.
12 >
13 > I have around 30 RAID1 sets in production right now. Some of them doing
14 > mostly reads and some mostly writes. Some are HDD and some SSD.
15 > The RAID sets are pushed pretty hard 24x7 and we watch the performance
16 > pretty closely to plan updates. I have collectd performance graphs
17 > going way back.
18
19 So you're basically confirming it with normal usage as well, but have
20 documented performance history going pretty well all the way back. Not
21 the simple test script I was hoping for, but pretty impressive, none-the-
22 less.
23
24 Thanks.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman