From: "Gary E. Miller" <gem@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:41:22
1 Yo Duncan!
2
3 On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:20:45 +0000 (UTC)
4 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5
6 > > I have around 30 RAID1 sets in production right now. Some of them
7 > > doing mostly reads and some mostly writes. Some are HDD and some
8 > > SSD. The RAID sets are pushed pretty hard 24x7 and we watch the
9 > > performance pretty closely to plan updates. I have collectd
10 > > performance graphs going way back.
11 >
12 > So you're basically confirming it with normal usage as well, but have
13 > documented performance history going pretty well all the way back.
14 > Not the simple test script I was hoping for, but pretty impressive,
15 > none-the- less.
16
17 I find that 'hdparm -tT', 'dd' and 'bonnie++' will match up pretty well
18 with what I see in production. Just be sure to use really large test
19 file sizes with bonnie++ and dd. dd also needs a pretty large block size
20 (bs=) and pretty large/fast source of bits when writing.
21
22 With bonnie++ you can easily see the speed differences between raw disks
23 and various RAID types.
26 RGDS
27 GARY
29 Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR 97701
30 gem@××××××.com Tel:+1(541)382-8588