From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I disable PREMPT_RCU?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:14:55
1 Am 21.11.2013 20:52, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Hi,
3 > I've been having a problem with new versions of Virtualbox hanging
4 > my system completely, but only if I use the CONFIG_PREEMPT option.
5 > I.e. - Preemptable Kernel (Low Latency Desktop) The problem does not
6 > occur if I select Voluntary Preemption.
7 >
8 > The Oracle guys who do Virtualbox development has asked me to try
9 > full preempt but disable the PREEMPT_RCU option as a test. I think
10 > possibly Paul McKenney works on the RCU stuff and also frequenct this
11 > list so possibly he or someone else here can tell me where I find the
12 > option to completely disable the RCU stuff. (If it exists...)
13 >
14 > I'm currently running gentoo-sources-3.10.19, trying to build 3.10.20.
15 >
16 > Specifically, here's where I am now:
17 >
18 > c2RAID6 linux # cat .config | grep PREEMPT
19 > CONFIG_TREE_PREEMPT_RCU=y
20 > CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
21 > CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y
22 > # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
23 > # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
24 > CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
25 > CONFIG_PREEMPT_COUNT=y
26 > CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
27 > c2RAID6 linux #
28 >
29 > I found General Setup-> RCU Subsystem but I'm ot clear what option
30 > might allow me to do what I think the Oracle devs are asking me to do.
31 >
32 > If I need a newer/different kernel let me know.
33 >
34 > Thanks,
35 > Mark
38 make menuconfig