From: B Vance <anonymous.pseudonym.88@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:50:07
1 On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 12:10 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Does anyone know of info on how the starting sector number might
4 > impact RAID performance under Gentoo? The drives are WD-500G RE3
5 > drives shown here:
6 >
7 > http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD5002ABYS-3-5-inch-Enterprise/dp/B001EMZPD0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
8 >
9 > These are NOT 4k sector sized drives.
10 >
11 > Specifically I'm a 5-drive RAID6 for about 1.45TB of storage. My
12 > benchmarking seems abysmal at around 40MB/S using dd copying large
13 > files. It's higher, around 80MB/S if the file being transferred is
14 > coming from an SSD, but even 80MB/S seems slow to me. I see a LOT of
15 > wait time in top. And my 'large file' copies might not be large enough
16 > as the machine has 24GB of DRAM and I've only been copying 21GB so
17 > it's possible some of that is cached.
18 >
19 > Then I looked again at how I partitioned the drives originally and
20 > see the starting sector of sector 3 as 8594775. I started wondering if
21 > something like 4K block sizes at the file system level might be
22 > getting munged across 16k chunk sizes in the RAID. Maybe the blocks
23 > are being torn apart in bad ways for performance? That led me down a
24 > bunch of rabbit holes and I haven't found any light yet.
25 >
26 > Looking for some thoughtful ideas from those more experienced in this area.
27 >
28 > Cheers,
29 > Mark
32 Not necessarily the kind of answer you are looking for, but a year or so
33 back I converted my NAS from Hardware RAID1 to linux software RAID1 to
34 RAID1 on ZFS. Before the conversion to ZFS I had issues with the NAS
35 being unable to keep up with requests. Since then I have been able to
36 hit the SAN relatively hard with no visible effects. Just to give an
37 idea, a normal load involves streaming an HD movie to the TV, streaming
38 music to a second system, being used as the shared storage for four
39 computers, two of which almost constantly hit the shared drive for data
40 (keep the distfile directory for all the systems on it as well as using
41 it as the local rsync) , and once a month, transferring data to
42 removable storage devices. All of this going over cat6 Ethernet and
43 occasionally USB2.
44
45 I'm unsure how I would go about measuring the throughput, mainly because
46 I never cared in the past as long as the files transferred at a
47 reasonable pace and the video/audio didn't stutter. By no means is my
48 NAS a high-end system. It's stats are:
49
50 AMD64 X2, 4200
51 ASUS A8V MoBo (I think)
52 4GB RAM
53 2 x Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATA RAID cards (4 port PCI cards)
54 3 x 1.5TB Seagate drives (on Raid Cards)
55 4 x 2TB Western Digital drives (On Raid Cards)
56 2 x Western Digital antique 80GB drives (mirrored on motherboard for OS)
57 Marvell GigE network cards (Have a second card to add once I figure how
58 to automatically load balance through two cards)
59 Case with 2 x 120mm fans on top, 3 x 120mm fans on the front, 1 x 240mm
60 fan on the side
61 Total storage available 6.3TB, of which 3.4TB is used.
62 An image of the pool is created on a daily basis via cron jobs, which
63 are overwritten every 3 days. (Image of Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 then Day 4
64 overwrites Day 1.)The pool started with 5 750GB drives and has been
65 grown slowly as I find deals on better drives.
66
67 Main advantage of using ZFS on linux is the ease of growing your pools.
68 As long as you know the id of the drive (preferably the hardware id not
69 the delegated one), its so simple I can manage it. Since I'm nowhere
70 near the technical level of most folk here, anyone can do it. For what
71 it's worth (very little I know), I think that ZFS has too many
72 advantages over linux software RAID for it to be a real competition.
73
74 YMMV
75
76 B. Vance