From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:12:20
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM, B Vance
2 <anonymous.pseudonym.88@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Main advantage of using ZFS on linux is the ease of growing your pools.
4 > As long as you know the id of the drive (preferably the hardware id not
5 > the delegated one), its so simple I can manage it. Since I'm nowhere
6 > near the technical level of most folk here, anyone can do it. For what
7 > it's worth (very little I know), I think that ZFS has too many
8 > advantages over linux software RAID for it to be a real competition.
9
10 I'm holding out for btrfs but for all the same reasons. I really
11 don't want to mess with zfs on linux (fuse, etc - and the license
12 issues - the thing I don't get is that Oracle maintains both).
13
14 However, the last time I checked ZFS does not support reshaping of
15 RAID-Z. That is a major limitation for me, as I almost always expand
16 arrays gradually. You can add additional raid-z's to a zpool, but if
17 you have a raid-z with 5 drives you can't add 1 more drive to it as
18 part of the same raid-z. That means that it get treated as a mirror
19 and not a stripe, and that means that if you add 10 drives in this
20 manner one at a time you get 5 drives of capacity and not 9. Btrfs
21 targets making raids re-shapeable, just like mdadm.
22
23 But in general COW makes a LOT more sense with RAID because the
24 layer-breaking allows them to often avoid read-write cycles by writing
25 complete stripes more often, and files aren't modified in place so you
26 can consolidate changes for many files into a single stripe (granted,
27 that can cause fragmentation). ZFS has all those advantages being
28 COW, as will btrfs when it is ready for prime time.
29
30 Rich