From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:21:20
1 Jan Jitse Venselaar <janjitse@×××××.com> posted
2 200610232131.04118.janjitse@×××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 23 Oct
3 2006 21:30:58 +0200:
4
5 > You patched your glibc ebuild to not strip -ftree-vectorize ?
6 > If so, I'd say that means trouble. I had some trouble with segfaulting apps
7 > when I tried a rebuild with this flag. I did not rebuild glibc with this flag
8 > however. I'd say -ftree-vectorize with glibc means big trouble.
9 >
10 > FWIW, I have glibc-2.5, everything built with gcc-4.1.1 but nothing fancy in
11 > the cflags, and everything runs fine.
12
13 No, I didn't patch the ebuild. That's one of the things I hadn't double
14 checked yet when I posted, but indeed, it seems that -ftree-vectorize
15 (and pretty much everything else for that matter) is stripped by the glibc
16 ebuild. Thus, it's almost certainly glibc-2.5 itself, not any CFLAGS, that
17 caused my pain, tho it very well could be glibc-2.5 in /combination/ with
18 other software compiled with certain CFLAGS. I'll have to recompile
19 glibc-2.5 again and try it again to be sure, but that's my working
20 hypothesis at this point.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list