From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Cloning a system drive
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:18:26
1 On 10/5/07, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > ----- Original Message -----
4 > From: "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
5 > To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
6 > Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 4:58 PM
7 > Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Cloning a system drive
10 > > Hi,
11 > > My system drive is making some naughty sounding noises to I'm
12 > > thinking I'd better do something fairly quickly. I'm wondering what
13 > > the best solution for this problem is?
14 > >
15 > > I'm really looking for an almost 1 step fix if possible. If I could
16 > > get a new drive, put it in the box, and then clone to that drive
17 > > directly that would be great.
18 > >
19 > > The system has both Win XP and Gentoo AMD64. The disk layout is
20 > > shown below. I beleive the way I shoehorned XP into this machine was
21 > > to steal the original boot partition as a small C: drive and then the
22 > > buld of Windows is on a larger partition at the end of the drive.
23 > >
24 > > The drive is (I think) only about 1/2 partitioned so there is the
25 > > possibility of creating a new partition to tar something to and then
26 > > transferring that over the network to some other box for safe keeping.
27 > >
28 > > I've never done this before but would like to do something before I
29 > > find myself having to start over from scratch.
30 > >
31 > > Thanks in advance for your inputs.
32 > >
33 > > Cheers,
34 > > Mark
37 > The Gparted live cd now has clonezilla incorporated, the claims for
38 > clonezilla suggest it would be perfect for your purpose.
39 > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828
40 >
41 > link may be fractured in transmission
42
43 Thanks to you and Dieter for responding.
44
45 It certainly looks like it's worth burning a CD and seeing what it looks like.
46
47 With respect to both of your answers I presume that with any solution,
48 since this is my main Gentoo system drive, I need to not be running
49 Gentoo from that drive when I do the clone, correct? Any solution
50 would require me to boot from some other media?
51
52 Also, I really don't need to change any partitions sizes but I'm
53 unclear whether I am responsible for creating the partitions myself?
54 It seems with Dieter's solution I have to do that. I'm unsure if they
55 have to be exactly the same size, in the same location, etc. With the
56 gparted solution maybe it does some (or all) of this for me?
57
58 Anyway, thanks for the link.
59
60 Cheers,