From: Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Cloning a system drive
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:33:42
1 Mark Knecht schrieb:
2 > On 10/5/07, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> The Gparted live cd now has clonezilla incorporated, the claims for
4 >> clonezilla suggest it would be perfect for your purpose.
5 >> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828
6 >>
7 >> link may be fractured in transmission
8 >
9 > Thanks to you and Dieter for responding.
10 >
11 > It certainly looks like it's worth burning a CD and seeing what it looks like.
12 >
13 > With respect to both of your answers I presume that with any solution,
14 > since this is my main Gentoo system drive, I need to not be running
15 > Gentoo from that drive when I do the clone, correct? Any solution
16 > would require me to boot from some other media?
17
18 Definitely. After reading what Drake wrote, I guess the GParted CD
19 should be your first choice, I remember I saw an earlier version of that
20 CD doing a great job in guessing a lost partition table.
21
22 The command I wrote initially is more or less a, slightly more CPU
23 intensive, copy command, which takes care of all the permissions etc
24 stuff, without making you any trouble. It has to be issued from a live
25 CD, in the example with your old HD mounted to /mnt/OLD and your new one
26 to /mnt/NEW.
29 > Also, I really don't need to change any partitions sizes but I'm
30 > unclear whether I am responsible for creating the partitions myself?
31 > It seems with Dieter's solution I have to do that. I'm unsure if they
32 > have to be exactly the same size, in the same location, etc. With the
33 > gparted solution maybe it does some (or all) of this for me?
34
35 Yes, it should.
38 > Anyway, thanks for the link.
39 >
40 > Cheers,
41 > Mark
42
43 cu
44 Dieter
47 3rd Law of Computing:
48 Anything that can go wr
49 fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped