From: dustin@×××××××.us
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Trouble installing in server with Fusion-MPT SAS storage controller
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:24:29
1 On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 05:12:59PM +0100, Clemente Aguiar wrote:
2 > !! Block device /dev/sda3 is not a valid root device ...
3 > !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
4 > Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell ...
5 > Boot() ::
6 >
7 > The module that during installation is loaded is "mptsas", but during
8 > boot of the system it does not seem to load this module (at least I
9 > cannot see it among the other dozen SCSI modules it is tying to load).
10
11 You can't use a module for the boot device. You need to compile it into
12 the kernel, rather than as a module.
13
14 I doubt this is a bugzilla-worthy bug; it sounds like you've just
15 miscompiled your kernel.
16
17 Dustin
18 --