From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Did devs change phonon flags without rev'ing package?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:26:25
1 On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:15:55 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Yesterday I was emerge -DuN @world clean. It took hours due to Gentoo
6 >> decisions about multilib stuff.
9 > Is it still necessary to be using multilib?
10 >
11 > I've been using pure AMD64 for so long I tend to forget that
12 > 32-bit stuff still exists.
13 >
14 > Frank Peters
15
16 Hi Frank,
17 Honestly, I really don't know and figure the answer is probably no,
18 but it was when I set the machine up this way 5 or so years ago. Even
19 today I still see messages from things like Virtualbox drivers saying
20 they are using 32-bit modes, but what do I know? When emerge threw all
21 this stuff at me Sunday I figured I had no reason to break a machine
22 that has been working well so I let it do everything it wanted to do.
23 I don't have any problems with them getting rid of emulation libraries
24 and having everything built into the packages. I just wasn't prepare
25 for the time it required yesterday.
26
27 If I was to build a machine from scratch today I'd certainly
28 investigate the question more closely but with an i7 980x, 24GB &
29 about 5TB of storage I have no plans on new hardware at this time.
30 Even with 3 Win 7 VMs running I seldom get above about 40% CPU usage.
31 I get close to running out of DRAM at times so I'm careful. My disk
32 subsystem is too slow but I've talked about that in the past. I just
33 haven't done much about it.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Mark