From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Did devs change phonon flags without rev'ing package?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:10:52
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:15:55 -0700
4 > > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Yesterday I was emerge -DuN @world clean. It took hours due to Gentoo
7 > >> decisions about multilib stuff.
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > Is it still necessary to be using multilib?
11 > >
12 > > I've been using pure AMD64 for so long I tend to forget that
13 > > 32-bit stuff still exists.
14 > >
15 > > Frank Peters
16 >
17 > Hi Frank,
18 > Honestly, I really don't know and figure the answer is probably no,
19 > but it was when I set the machine up this way 5 or so years ago. Even
20 > today I still see messages from things like Virtualbox drivers saying
21 > they are using 32-bit modes, but what do I know? When emerge threw all
22 > this stuff at me Sunday I figured I had no reason to break a machine
23 > that has been working well so I let it do everything it wanted to do.
24 > I don't have any problems with them getting rid of emulation libraries
25 > and having everything built into the packages. I just wasn't prepare
26 > for the time it required yesterday.
27
28 I’m still working on it, myself. Various problems. Nothing I won’t be
29 able to figure out. My list of things to build ~amd64 instead of amd64
30 is growing a bit, for instance. Had to fix one of my overlay
31 ebuilds. Etc. Removed some 32-bit stuff at least temporarily. I do not
32 use 32-bit stuff very often.
33
34 The main problem at this case is emerge wanting to install libav
35 despite that I’m set up for ffmpeg. These things happen.
36
37 At least if you use emerge as your package manager, it’s probably safe
38 to go ahead and uninstall the emul packages, if you haven’t. The
39 binaries will stay in place until you build the replacements.