From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Did devs change phonon flags without rev'ing package?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:23:47
1 On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
4 >> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 >> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:15:55 -0700
6 >> > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> >
8 >> >> Yesterday I was emerge -DuN @world clean. It took hours due to Gentoo
9 >> >> decisions about multilib stuff.
10 >> >>
11 >> >
12 >> > Is it still necessary to be using multilib?
13 >> >
14 >> > I've been using pure AMD64 for so long I tend to forget that
15 >> > 32-bit stuff still exists.
16 >> >
17 >> > Frank Peters
18 >>
19 >> Hi Frank,
20 >> Honestly, I really don't know and figure the answer is probably no,
21 >> but it was when I set the machine up this way 5 or so years ago. Even
22 >> today I still see messages from things like Virtualbox drivers saying
23 >> they are using 32-bit modes, but what do I know? When emerge threw all
24 >> this stuff at me Sunday I figured I had no reason to break a machine
25 >> that has been working well so I let it do everything it wanted to do.
26 >> I don't have any problems with them getting rid of emulation libraries
27 >> and having everything built into the packages. I just wasn't prepare
28 >> for the time it required yesterday.
29 >
30 > I’m still working on it, myself. Various problems. Nothing I won’t be
31 > able to figure out. My list of things to build ~amd64 instead of amd64
32 > is growing a bit, for instance. Had to fix one of my overlay
33 > ebuilds. Etc. Removed some 32-bit stuff at least temporarily. I do not
34 > use 32-bit stuff very often.
35 >
36 > The main problem at this case is emerge wanting to install libav
37 > despite that I’m set up for ffmpeg. These things happen.
38 >
39 > At least if you use emerge as your package manager, it’s probably safe
40 > to go ahead and uninstall the emul packages, if you haven’t. The
41 > binaries will stay in place until you build the replacements.
44 Hi Barry,
45 Yes, uninstalling the emulation libraries is exactly what I did
46 yesterday. It all seemed to work. Everything (nearly 300 packages)
47 built cleanly, and then following that there were another 250 or so
48 that had to be rebuilt I guess to be relinked or something. Anyway, it
49 took a few hours but everything went fine.
50
51 In my case I've been slowly converting my machine back to nearly
52 100% stable. I don't need anything more than that in my daily work
53 these days and would greatly prefer fewer updates. In the old days
54 when I ran a lot of Gentoo pro-audio overlay stuff I stay to stay
55 leading edge all the time but these days I don't do that and life
56 should be easier.
57
58 The libav vs ffmpeg thing was an issue for me also but I eventually
59 got through that a couple of weeks ago. As part of 'going stable' I've
60 removed use flags in make.conf and package.use and then basically let
61 portage do its thing. Everything worked fine once I got it all to
62 build. handbrake/makemkv/vlc and (I think) xine are all working now
63 but they weren't for a few days.
64
65 I was thinking back about my 32-bit usage when I built the machine.
66 In those days (and it's likely still true) to run Windows VST plugins
67 you had to have 32-bit support. I was doing a lot of software synth
68 stuff a decade ago and suspect that was my main need in that area. I
69 don't intentionally use 32-bit for anything so likely I don't need it
70 at all as per Frank's comment but I also didn't feel like I really
71 wanted to deal with that right now.
72
73 Cheers,
74 Mark