From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrading glibc and glib
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 06:05:38
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> skribis:
2 > 100% agreed! FEATURES=buildpkg does have a passing reference in the
3 > handbook (working with portage part?), but that's about all it is (or
4 > was, last I looked), a /passing/ reference. As such, this feature is
5 > definitely my favorite under-documented non-default portage feature!
6 >
7 > Not only does it provide a handy recompile-less backup binpkg downgrade
8 > when needed, but once you have run it for awhile, because the binpkgs are
9 > simply tarballs with some extra metadata tacked on the end and can still
10 > be browsed or individual files extracted /as/ tarballs, the buildpkg
11 > feature comes in very handy for checking/retrieving "default" versions of
12 > config files or comparing what files various versions came with, when
13 > troubleshooting or the like.
14
15 Yeah, I think I've used it to restore a broken portage, though that
16 was long ago and maybe I misremember. Quickpkg is good, too, though; I
17 tend to use it when I expect trouble, just in case I don’t have a good
18 binary for whatever reason. (Space cleanup, for instance.)