From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrading glibc and glib
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 05:52:30
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> posted
2 200904060143.34295.volkerarmin@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon,
3 06 Apr 2009 01:43:34 +0200:
4
5 > just turn on the binary package option (put buildpkg into FEATURES).
6 > That way you have nice packages of all packages you ever installed - if
7 > something is nuked all you need is a working tar+bzip
8
9 100% agreed! FEATURES=buildpkg does have a passing reference in the
10 handbook (working with portage part?), but that's about all it is (or
11 was, last I looked), a /passing/ reference. As such, this feature is
12 definitely my favorite under-documented non-default portage feature!
13
14 Not only does it provide a handy recompile-less backup binpkg downgrade
15 when needed, but once you have run it for awhile, because the binpkgs are
16 simply tarballs with some extra metadata tacked on the end and can still
17 be browsed or individual files extracted /as/ tarballs, the buildpkg
18 feature comes in very handy for checking/retrieving "default" versions of
19 config files or comparing what files various versions came with, when
20 troubleshooting or the like.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman