From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrading glibc and glib
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 06:14:15
1 On Monday 06 April 2009, Duncan wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> posted
3 > 200904060143.34295.volkerarmin@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon,
4 >
5 > 06 Apr 2009 01:43:34 +0200:
6 > > just turn on the binary package option (put buildpkg into FEATURES).
7 > > That way you have nice packages of all packages you ever installed - if
8 > > something is nuked all you need is a working tar+bzip
9 >
10 > 100% agreed! FEATURES=buildpkg does have a passing reference in the
11 > handbook (working with portage part?), but that's about all it is (or
12 > was, last I looked), a /passing/ reference. As such, this feature is
13 > definitely my favorite under-documented non-default portage feature!
14 >
15 > Not only does it provide a handy recompile-less backup binpkg downgrade
16 > when needed, but once you have run it for awhile, because the binpkgs are
17 > simply tarballs with some extra metadata tacked on the end and can still
18 > be browsed or individual files extracted /as/ tarballs, the buildpkg
19 > feature comes in very handy for checking/retrieving "default" versions of
20 > config files or comparing what files various versions came with, when
21 > troubleshooting or the like.
22
23 we are on the same side this time ;)
24
25 Back when I was harddisk constraint I saw it as a useless 'nice to have but
26 not important feature'. 'There is always quickpkg' I thought. When I got space
27 to waste I turned it on 'can't hurt' I thought.
28
29 I love it. It is the feature with worst usefullness/advertisement rate. I can
30 wholeheartedly recommend it. If you have some free space, turn it on. There
31 are no drawbacks, and a LOT of cases where it might be usefull. Inclusive
32 'install an almost identical gentoo fast' or 'help friend with hosed
33 installation' added to your list above. There should be a section in the
34 handbook named 'buildpkg - enable it if you can'.