From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Emerge libraries in /usr/lib32 too
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:53:30
1 On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 16:12 +0200, Regis Decamps wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'd like to run a 32 bits closed-source application.
5 >
6 > Usually, I can do this thanks to emul-x86-* packages.Unfortunately, this
7 > particular application requires a library which is not in app-emulation
8 > (I think).
9 >
10 > What do you advise me to do?
14 You have a couple of options. If you want to make the application
15 available to other computers (say you're installing on a set of
16 workstations, or something) then you probably want to make your own
17 emul-linux-x86 package for the missing libs. There's a howto here:
18 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/chroot.xml
19
20 If you're just installing on one computer, you have a number of options.
21 By far the easiest is to copy the missing libs off of some x86 gentoo
22 system. If you don't have access to one of those, you can install a
23 32-bit chroot (no need to jump through hoops like above, just a plain
24 32-bit chroot is fine) and copy out of that. If all else fails, you can
25 compile a 32-bit version on your 64-bit system, assuming all the
26 compile-time deps of the libs are available in 32-bit versions there.
27
28 Good luck.
29
30 Daniel