From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: reinstall grub after an emerge?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 02:35:02
1 On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've meant to ask this for a while. Does anyone actually reinstall
3 > grub on the MBR after an emerge updates it?
4 >
5 > grub is a strange beast to me in that I don't know much about what it
6 > does or what the reasons are it would get upgraded. I don't touch it
7 > thinking don't fix what ain't broke, but I'm curious as to what others
8 > do as I had an upgrade tonight.
9 >
10 > Cheers all,
11 > Mark
14 And tonight's install seems to make this more important that I can remember:
15
16 * *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
17 * the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
18 * stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
19 * later stages will be the new version, which could
20 * cause problems such as an unbootable system.
21 * This means you must use either grub-install or perform
22 * root/setup manually! For more help, see the handbook:
23 * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
24
25 The link implies I just run
26
27 grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
28
29 I'm worried about the simplicity of that suggestion. /dev/sda is my main drive.
30
31 - Mark