From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: reinstall grub after an emerge?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 03:11:13
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > And tonight's install seems to make this more important that I can remember:
3 >
4 > * *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
5 > * the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
6 > * stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
7 > * later stages will be the new version, which could
8 > * cause problems such as an unbootable system.
9 > * This means you must use either grub-install or perform
10 > * root/setup manually! For more help, see the handbook:
11 > * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
12 >
13 > The link implies I just run
14 >
15 > grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
16
17 I think that's right, assuming /dev/sda is the boot drive (not
18 necessarily the same as the one on which your /boot directory
19 exists!).
20
21 If you haven't made sure that the stages matched the rest of grub in
22 the past, I'd suggest being very careful in setting it up, but do it,
23 and then perhaps not upgrading grub again unless there is a very good
24 reason. The stable grub series is about the last thing for which
25 upgrading makes a difference, I would think.
26
27 I did that for a few years, but now instead I keep DONT_MOUNT_BOOT=1
28 in my make.conf so that grub doesn't actually affect my boot process
29 unless and until I want it to.