From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: reinstall grub after an emerge?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 03:28:39
1 On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
4 >> And tonight's install seems to make this more important that I can remember:
5 >>
6 >> * *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
7 >>  * the new version's stage1 to your MBR.  Until you do,
8 >>  * stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
9 >>  * later stages will be the new version, which could
10 >>  * cause problems such as an unbootable system.
11 >>  * This means you must use either grub-install or perform
12 >>  * root/setup manually! For more help, see the handbook:
13 >>  * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
14 >>
15 >> The link implies I just run
16 >>
17 >> grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
18 >
19 > I think that's right, assuming /dev/sda is the boot drive (not
20 > necessarily the same as the one on which your /boot directory
21 > exists!).
22 >
23 > If you haven't made sure that the stages matched the rest of grub in
24 > the past, I'd suggest being very careful in setting it up, but do it,
25 > and then perhaps not upgrading grub again unless there is a very good
26 > reason. The stable grub series is about the last thing for which
27 > upgrading makes a difference, I would think.
28 >
29 > I did that for a few years, but now instead I keep DONT_MOUNT_BOOT=1
30 > in my make.conf so that grub doesn't actually affect my boot process
31 > unless and until I want it to.
32
33 I ran the command and got no complaints. I rebooted both Linux and
34 windows successfully so I guess everything is OK.
35
36 I agree that it's not a package that is likely to make much of a
37 difference in the performance of my machine, once it's booted, and if
38 it boots then why upgrade.
39
40 I'm going to throw in a package mask unless I here a really good reason not to.
41
42 Thanks for the response.
43
44 Cheers,