From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: reinstall grub after an emerge?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 06:21:37
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0905202028r598f7b1ch99ccbd46ee937068@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 20 May 2009 20:28:37 -0700:
4
5 > I agree that it's not a package that is likely to make much of a
6 > difference in the performance of my machine, once it's booted, and if it
7 > boots then why upgrade.
8 >
9 > I'm going to throw in a package mask unless I here a really good reason
10 > not to.
11
12 As long as your disks and filesystems remain the same and were working,
13 yeah, no big reason to upgrade grub.
14
15 HOWEVER, if you are playing with or intend to play with any of the new
16 ext3/ext4 features (like extents) on your /boot partition, or if you are
17 using filesystems larger than some size (IDR what, 512 GB maybe?), which
18 isn't likely with a separate /boot but might be if you have your entire
19 system as a single partition, THEN the newly updated/patched grub becomes
20 important, since the old version didn't understand all these new
21 features, with the result being a possibly unbootable system if you
22 started using them.
23
24 Actually, the old pre-1.0 grub is deprecated upstream and they aren't
25 adding all these new features as they are busy trying to get grub-2.0 out
26 stable and out the door -- with these new features and more. But that
27 leaves all the distributions including Gentoo between a rock and a hard
28 place, with (at least as of when I read about it probably Q3 last year)
29 the pre-2.0s not even feature frozen yet let alone stable, but the old
30 pre-1.0s (they never shipped a full 1.0 as they decided they'd made too
31 many mistakes and went right for the target-2.0 rewrite) are deprecated
32 and not getting any new features. So the distributions must come up
33 with, test and include their own patches to the old deprecated 0.97.
34 Fortunately it's freedomware we're talking, so they not only can do just
35 that, but all the distributions share the work/testing/patches around, so
36 no one's left trying to do it all themselves. But that's why we've been
37 on grub-0.97 "forever", with more and more -rX revisions, as the patches
38 stack up to keep modern systems actually /working/ with it.
39
40 But as of whenever I read about it last year, they were finally supposed
41 to get pre-grub-2.0 into feature-freeze sometime late last year, and
42 presumably, there'll be an upstream 2.0 release sometime this year. Then
43 the early distribution testing begins, with any additional patches they
44 think they need, before it hits unstable, and eventually stable. /That/
45 might be worth upgrading too when it happens, because it's supposed to be
46 a serious leap, near as much as between lilo and grub, but there's
47 certain to be a Gentoo upgrade guide for it before it goes stable,
48 telling you how to make and test an alternate boot floppy/CD/thumb-drive,
49 which is what people will need to do just to be sure, and then how to do
50 the actual upgrade as well as a brief description of how to deal with the
51 changes. /I'm/ looking forward to it, anyway. =:^)
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman