From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 32 or 64 for web server and mysql
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:48:01
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:21:10PM +0800, P.V.Anthony wrote:
2 > The reason for this questions is that there are some information on the
3 > net that says that there is no much difference between them.
4 > Is that true? Thought that 64bit is always better.
5
6 Building a system 64-bit buys you:
7 - wider integers (so math with 64-bit integers is faster)
8 - wider pointers (so an application can have a *lot* more address space
9 allocated to it)
10 - bigger binaries and data structures (so more RAM consumed)
11 - future-proofing (in a few years, 32-bit hardware will not be
12 available new)
13
14 There's no "better" and it's not inherently faster in any way. As
15 another poster said, most UNIX apps have been running 64-bit on other
16 architectures (SPARC being the most common) for years, so compatibility
17 isn't a big deal.
18
19 Those are the points on which I base my 32/64 decisions.
20
21 Dustin
22 --
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list