From: Leonid Eremin <leon.programmer@×××××.com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-amd64] 32 or 64 for web server and mysql
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:12:01
1 On AMD64 there's also number of named general-purpose registers is
2 increased from 8 to 16 - new capabilities for optimization :)
3
4 > On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:21:10PM +0800, P.V.Anthony wrote:
5 >> The reason for this questions is that there are some information on the
6 >> net that says that there is no much difference between them.
7 >> Is that true? Thought that 64bit is always better.
8
9 > Building a system 64-bit buys you:
10 > - wider integers (so math with 64-bit integers is faster)
11 > - wider pointers (so an application can have a *lot* more address space
12 > allocated to it)
13 > - bigger binaries and data structures (so more RAM consumed)
14 > - future-proofing (in a few years, 32-bit hardware will not be
15 > available new)
16
17 > There's no "better" and it's not inherently faster in any way. As
18 > another poster said, most UNIX apps have been running 64-bit on other
19 > architectures (SPARC being the most common) for years, so compatibility
20 > isn't a big deal.
21
22 > Those are the points on which I base my 32/64 decisions.
23
24 > Dustin
29 Ñ óâàæåíèåì,
30 Leonid mailto:Leon.Programmer@×××××.com