From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: amd64@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Assembler USE flag unmaskings
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:52:09
1 Hi all,
2
3 Back in May 2005 we made the decision to not use the assembler USE flags
4 because AMD64 was not affected by the "lots of sub-arches" problem and
5 instead just enable SIMD code where possible. As a result of this, the
6 3dnow, 3dnowext, mmx, mmxext, sse and sse2 USE flags got masked.
7 This decision turned out to be not the best. Intel's EM64T processors
8 don't support 3dnow and 3dnowext, there are AMD64s with and without SSE3
9 support. The "one size fits all" idea simply is no longer true. Starting
10 with portage 2.1.2_pre3-r4, there is support to force USE flags on or
11 off on a per-package basis. This means less ebuild hackery for us, and
12 so I went and checked the ~50 packages with mentioned USE flags.
13
14 The result is that the assembler USE flags convey their actual meaning
15 again IF AND ONLY IF you use >=portage-2.1.2_pre3-r4. I suggest you to
16 stick at least "mmx mmxext sse sse2" into your USE flags, as this is the
17 common denominator of all AMD64s. If your processor supports it, 3dnow
18 and 3dnowext might be worth adding too.
19
20 *For users of portage versions prior to 2.1.2_pre3-r4 nothing changes*,
21 but I'd still recommend to add the USE flags. They will become effective
22 as soon as you upgrade portage.
23
24 In a nutshell:
25
26 1. add "mmx mmxext sse sse2" to your USE flags
27 2. emerge -u portage
28 3. emerge -NuD world
29
30 If you experience any build failures, please file a bug report on
31 http://bugs.gentoo.org/
32
33 Thank you for your attention, the team wishes you a convenient flight.
36 Kind Regards,
37
38 Simon Stelling
39 Gentoo/AMD64 developer