From: "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Assembler USE flag unmaskings
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:07:08
1 On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:49:31 +0200
2 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > Back in May 2005 we made the decision to not use the assembler USE
6 > flags because AMD64 was not affected by the "lots of sub-arches"
7 > problem and instead just enable SIMD code where possible. As a result
8 > of this, the 3dnow, 3dnowext, mmx, mmxext, sse and sse2 USE flags got
9 > masked. This decision turned out to be not the best. Intel's EM64T
10 > processors don't support 3dnow and 3dnowext, there are AMD64s with
11 > and without SSE3 support. The "one size fits all" idea simply is no
12 > longer true. Starting with portage 2.1.2_pre3-r4, there is support to
13 > force USE flags on or off on a per-package basis. This means less
14 > ebuild hackery for us, and so I went and checked the ~50 packages
15 > with mentioned USE flags.
16 >
17 > The result is that the assembler USE flags convey their actual
18 > meaning again IF AND ONLY IF you use >=portage-2.1.2_pre3-r4. I
19 > suggest you to stick at least "mmx mmxext sse sse2" into your USE
20 > flags, as this is the common denominator of all AMD64s. If your
21 > processor supports it, 3dnow and 3dnowext might be worth adding too.
22 >
23 > *For users of portage versions prior to 2.1.2_pre3-r4 nothing
24 > changes*, but I'd still recommend to add the USE flags. They will
25 > become effective as soon as you upgrade portage.
26 >
27 > In a nutshell:
28 >
29 > 1. add "mmx mmxext sse sse2" to your USE flags
30 > 2. emerge -u portage
31 > 3. emerge -NuD world
32 >
33 > If you experience any build failures, please file a bug report on
34 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/
35 >
36 > Thank you for your attention, the team wishes you a convenient flight.
39 We should be able to cat /proc/cpuinfo to find out which ones our CPUs
40 support, right? Except IIRC SSE3 is called something else in
41 /proc/cpuinfo... pni, is it? Any other caveats we should be aware of?
44 Conway S. Smith