From: Javi Moreno <vierito5@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Assembler USE flag unmaskings
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:40:06
1 pni means prescott new instructions and is the same as sse3, yeah
2
3 On 10/24/06, Conway S. Smith <beolach@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:49:31 +0200
6 > Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
7 > > Hi all,
8 > >
9 > > Back in May 2005 we made the decision to not use the assembler USE
10 > > flags because AMD64 was not affected by the "lots of sub-arches"
11 > > problem and instead just enable SIMD code where possible. As a result
12 > > of this, the 3dnow, 3dnowext, mmx, mmxext, sse and sse2 USE flags got
13 > > masked. This decision turned out to be not the best. Intel's EM64T
14 > > processors don't support 3dnow and 3dnowext, there are AMD64s with
15 > > and without SSE3 support. The "one size fits all" idea simply is no
16 > > longer true. Starting with portage 2.1.2_pre3-r4, there is support to
17 > > force USE flags on or off on a per-package basis. This means less
18 > > ebuild hackery for us, and so I went and checked the ~50 packages
19 > > with mentioned USE flags.
20 > >
21 > > The result is that the assembler USE flags convey their actual
22 > > meaning again IF AND ONLY IF you use >=portage-2.1.2_pre3-r4. I
23 > > suggest you to stick at least "mmx mmxext sse sse2" into your USE
24 > > flags, as this is the common denominator of all AMD64s. If your
25 > > processor supports it, 3dnow and 3dnowext might be worth adding too.
26 > >
27 > > *For users of portage versions prior to 2.1.2_pre3-r4 nothing
28 > > changes*, but I'd still recommend to add the USE flags. They will
29 > > become effective as soon as you upgrade portage.
30 > >
31 > > In a nutshell:
32 > >
33 > > 1. add "mmx mmxext sse sse2" to your USE flags
34 > > 2. emerge -u portage
35 > > 3. emerge -NuD world
36 > >
37 > > If you experience any build failures, please file a bug report on
38 > > http://bugs.gentoo.org/
39 > >
40 > > Thank you for your attention, the team wishes you a convenient flight.
43 > We should be able to cat /proc/cpuinfo to find out which ones our CPUs
44 > support, right? Except IIRC SSE3 is called something else in
45 > /proc/cpuinfo... pni, is it? Any other caveats we should be aware of?
48 > Conway S. Smith